Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rain rain come out to play!

Man oh man is it HOT! I can honestly say I did not believe anyone when they said how hot is gets in Thailand. I figured it rains so much in Portland, it will probably just follow me here! In my wildest dreams...
I am currently laying on my bed in a pool of sweat, dreaming about Alaska and making snow angels in a T-shirt and shorts. It is about 100 degrees and I don't see it letting up anytime soon. I am hoping that my body will adjust to the heat or run out of sweat but I have a feeling this is only the beginning of the 3 hottest months of my life.
These last two and a half weeks have flew by. It seems like just yesterday that I was sitting alone in a guesthouse, crying to my family and Jesse about how badly I wanted to come home. It makes me laugh now because although being here is very challenging and there are moments when I wish I was home, I am having the experience of a lifetime. I have explored a whole new side of myself that I didn't even know existed. It seems that you get what you give out of this situation, so I'm givin' it all I got!
As of yesterday, I was "promoted" to the new Indoor Leader. This means I am in charge of the new indoor volunteers (everyone else left this weekend), and making sure everyone is where they need to be when they need to be there. I was hesitant at first to take the role but given that I don't really have a choice AND can be a little bit...bossy...I feel the role is fitting:) Just yesterday three new female volunteers started at Mirror so this next week will definitely be the ultimate trial run. Today I went to teach at the hospital for the first time since I've been here. Since the kids are terminally ill, we spend two hours doing arts and crafts instead of teaching them English. It was one of the most touching experiences of my life and I definitely had to choke down tears at some points. We made picture frames out of popsicle sticks, and drew pictures to put inside. The kids were around 5 years old and didn't speak any English so we just listened to music and relaxed. As hard of a time as it is to look at these kids and know how sick they are, it was one of the most gratifying things I've ever done.
Everyday here seems to bring new obstacles but overcoming them is just part of the experience. It is crazy to think what I was like just weeks ago...wearing heels, curling my hair, complaining about everything under the sun. What a joy I was! Being here has made me realized that you don't need much to live, just great people and a positive attitude. I already have the great people now I just need to whip my attitude back into shape and I'll have everything I need!! I'm not saying it's not fun enjoying the silly things in life, but not looking in a mirror for over a week feels pretty damn good. I hardly recognized myself today when I finally caught a glimpse. Face naked with mosquito bites, legs bruised up to my knees, and hair that would make me deny every being a hair dresser. Life is good, and I am enjoying every second of it:)

4 comments:

  1. Goodness...I'm liking the new, improved Kara (2.0) a lot!!! Not that I disliked the old one :) We are so proud of you for allowing yourself to experience this journey with your eyes and mind wide open. Keep up the good work. Loving you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for sticking with it! It sounds like you are having an amazing experience! I cant wait to see you and hear all about it! I miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how to work this thing....anyways

    You're too funny!! Miss you, love you!

    ReplyDelete